Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Read: Feb 6 – 10, 2016
Rating: 4 / 5
*warning: spoilers below the cut and possible rant*
Chamber of Secrets was never one of my favorite Harry Potter stories/movies/ and when I was a kid I actually thought it was even a little scary. I was really surprised at how much I liked the book and I was also really surprised at how bad the movie is compared to the original.
There are always scenes that have to be cut because there simply isn’t enough time in a movie. I understand why some weren’t selected but at the same time there were so many wonderful scenes and dialogue lines that should’ve been included.
- Harry spends a month with the Weasleys (not a night) after Ron and the twins rescue him with the flying car.
- Harry tells Ron and Hermione about Dobby and although that might’ve been a redundant moment in the movie, it would also make sense.
- Lucius Malfoy and Arthur Weasley go at it in the bookstore Florish and Blotts. (Lucius Malfoy gets hit in the eye with the Encyclopedia of Toadstools !)
- (The interesting facts about mandrake growth were very amusing but I get they weren’t all that relevant to the story compared to some other parts).
- The time out during the Slytherin vs Gryffindor quidditch match when Fred and George want to help Harry with the rogue bludger. (Definitely one of my favorite moments)
I watched the movie a few days after finishing the book and I thought it was rather disappointing – and although I will forever love the Harry Potter movies, I think I’m going to have to think of the movies and the books separately as I continue to read the books or else I won’t be able to enjoy them anymore (though I’ll never think about them the same way again.)